Monday, June 16, 2014

Fancy Socks




I have managed a little knitting in between all the activities recently.  This is Hedera by Cookie A., published in Knitty some time ago - a free pattern.  The yarn is Regia Silk, a mix of merino, silk and polyamide, in a lovely soft green.  The lace pattern was a simple 4-row repeat, impossible to get wrong, but a  little fiddly on dpns.  They do look acceptably summery with cut-off trousers.  I was surprised when someone at my knitting group commented that they looked very youthful.  Perhaps she meant, too young for me.

Then, this little test piece.


This is a commercial Aran weight grey, with a hand-dyed wool yarn.  I am loving the effect of using variegated yarn in a stranded pattern.  It looks cool and summery.



So then, this is the same blue yarn, but knit with a Norfolk Horn dk.  Somehow the Norfolk Horn has a fawn colour to it, giving the whole thing a retro look.



This is Norfolk Horn from the Wimpole Hall flock, prepared by my friend at Natural Yarns and spun by Sue Blacker's company.



I've bought a ball of the 4-ply to try with the blue.  Somehow, though, I prefer the pale grey of the original sample.  I'm thinking of a little waistcoat with patterned fronts and a plain back.  I've been looking over some of the early work of Sacha Kagan which had some wonderful examples. 




 

No comments: