Saturday, June 20, 2015

Day Trip

A day trip to catch up with an old friend - and to visit the Kaffe Fassett Exhibition at the Quilt Museum, in York.

Juxtapositions at King's Cross

After a hassle free trip, we walked across York, dodging very busy traffic.  The best-known streets were crowded with gawping tourists.


The concept of the exhibition was that Kaffe had selected twelve of the heritage quilts in the museum's collections, using these as inspiration for twelve interpretations of his own.  The palette was bright, although some had that bright pastel look of the 30's.  Some were cheaters, in the sense that striped fabric had replaced log-cabin piecework.  And, in the end, it was underwhelming, unlike quilt shows where the level of industry and creative imagination always amazes me.


On the way back my friend, who knows York well - sings in the Minster choir - took me along little streets packed with the sort of architectural interest which I love.


We took in the mason's yard with fine examples of newly carved stonework on display.


Just by chance we passed an Oxfam, and there, right by the door, was this pack, obviously with my name on it.  It's a ready knitted yoke, and enough sage green yarn for a jumper.  The pattern originated in Galashiels; I would date this to the early 70s.  I'm thinking that I will be able to improve on the rather predictable yoke design, especially with Kate Davies "Yokes" as inspiration.


All in all, a grand day out.



 

4 comments:

Mary Lou said...

I missed the Quilt Museum when I visited York. Next time, I hope there will be one.

MaureenTakoma said...

It'll be really interesting to see what you do with that yoke.

knitski said...

Wonderful post and how great that you found one of these yoke sweater tops. Please let us know how this knits up!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I didn't know York had a quilt museum either . Another thing for my To Do list .
Good Oxfam find . In the early '60s , one of my aunts used to be paid 1 Pound per completed Shetland yoke by some company like this . Perhaps she knitted yours !